The Labour party is set to split in two, between Socialist Corbynistas and more centrist Social Democrats.
The Conservative government has a Brexit agenda. Yet substantially more Conservative MPs supported Remain than Brexit in the recent referendum. So Europe still threatens to tear the Conservative party apart too.
In this context it was reported in the Observer/Guardian that there are serious talks between centrist Remainers from both the Conservative and Labour parties to form a new centrist party. They found a lot of common ground whilst campaigning together during the referendum, and talks are at ministerial level. But a new party would take weeks to get through the registration process.
The Just Political Party fills this centrist and pro-EU brief. Here and now.
THE JUST POLITICAL PARTY - OVERVIEW AND CORE PRINCIPLES
The Just Political Party is a centrist party with the registered description “GREAT ASPIRATIONS. GREAT BRITAIN”.
There are four Core Principles that link the centre left (Social Democrats) with the centre right (Tory Modernisers):
- Personal Aspiration and equality of opportunity for all - the ‘One Nation’ principle
- Social Justice for those in need - hence the name “Just”
- Strong financial management of the UK’s finances – promoting growth and creating jobs by balancing spend with the need to control the national debt
- Support for membership of the European Union to best achieve the principles above
It is anticipated that the initial members will be MPs moving from the two main parties to collaborate in the national interest:
- From the Conservatives, where they are Bremainers who do not wish to be associated with a party with a Brexit agenda
- From Labour, where Bremainers want to make a break from a party that has shifted leftwards and become unelectable
The resulting re-alignment of the parties, including the impact on the LibDems and their important ongoing role, is described here. This contains some important explanatory diagrams, including this one.
JUST POLITICAL PARTY OBJECTIVES
The four Core Principles translate at the next level into a number of key objectives:
- Life better tomorrow than today for you, your family, your country and your world
- Supporting ambition and personal choice within a “compassionate capitalist” system
- Equal opportunities, not socialist equality, to provide higher living standards for both richer and poorer
• SOCIAL JUSTICE
- Compassion and help for those who need it, both practical and financial
- Housing for all, habitable and affordable, through a mix of private and public sector
- NHS free at point of use
• STRONG ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT OF UK FINANCES AND SPEND
- Living within our means as a country
- Promote investment in business. Create jobs.
- Strong bank regulation
- Invest in education
• CREATE JOBS
- Encouraging new private sector businesses, and investment in existing businesses
- Creating and protecting jobs in public sector where real value being added to society
• CONCERN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
- Our planet is our home. It is our responsibility to look after it, not least for our children and grandchildren. This should not be sacrificed in the pursuit of profit
- Ensuring energy security with safest, cheapest options
• DEFENCE AND FREEDOM
- Strong defence within NATO
- Including a nuclear deterrent
• TRADE UNIONS AND OTHER REPRESENTATIVE BODIES
- Recognising the right of people to be represented at work, whether by a trade union, professional institute or other representative body
• EUROPEAN UNION
- Backing that the UK should Remain in the EU as the best option to support the objectives above
There is the opportunity for initial members to develop the policies that support the objectives, starting with a clean sheet.
The Just Political Party was registered in 2014 with reference PP2520 for purposes of a by-election. However the registration process was not complete in time for that election, and the party has never fielded a candidate in an election.
The only expenditure has been the registration and renewal fees.
The Just Political Party is therefore equivalent to a newly registered party, with a registered Constitution suitable for a centrist party. It is nonetheless anticipated that the constitution will be reviewed and revised if necessary by the initial members.
MEMBERSHIP & DONATIONS
There are 3 membership categories:
(1) Full member: £24 per year (£2 per month)
(2) Concessionary rate: Full membership at £6 per year (50p per month) for:
- Under 25s and mature students
- Serving and former members of the UK’s armed forces
- Unemployed or under-employed – you be the judge
Membership applications are subject to the Terms and Conditions of being a member.
Additional donations are also welcomed, for example:
- Or any other amount of your choosing
The Just Political Party reserves the right to not accept a donation or application for membership.
Please note that under the Political Party Elections and Referendum Act 2000 (“PPERA”):
- If you are donating more than £500, you must be on the UK electoral role at the date of the donation
- If you donate £7500 or more the donation has to be reported to the Electoral Commission, who will publish the fact
INVITATION TO SITTING MPs AND LORDS
An invitation is extended to any sitting MP who would sign up to the four Core Principles above, which in essence means you are both:
It is anticipated that initially someone at ministerial or shadow ministerial level will be the leader of The Just Political Party, chosen from initial MPs joining the Party. Potential people are listed here
It is anticipated that there will be a full leadership election leader within the next year, with candidates originally from both the Conservative and Labour parties.
THE PARTY MACHINE
It is recognised that a fully functioning party will need a strong Central Office function and the development of an enthusiastic Local Constituency presence.
The party will be recruiting experienced Central Office staff in the near future. Formal recruitment will take place in due course, but If you are interested please send in your CV soonest using the contact methods at the foot of this posting.
It is anticipated that MPs who are interested in making the move to The Just Political Party will have a number of local supporters who will form the core of their new Constituency Party.
The new Constituency Parties will start afresh, and so there will be no need to split the assets of the existing parties, as has been discussed by the media.
LOCAL AND EUROPEAN ELECTIONS
The initial objective is to have representation in Westminster. Candidates for local elections and MEPs will follow naturally in due course.
If you are an MP interested in this new party, do get in touch as below. We can arrange to meet at Westminster or somewhere else nearby, as suits you.
NOTE FOR MEDIA
Likewise, I would be delighted to talk to members of the TV, radio, print and internet media about The Just Political Party and its aims.
I can be contacted via Twitter @TheJustParty or my business Linkedin account http://bit.ly/29DJ8tT
Published and promoted by CR Challis on behalf of The Just Political Party at The Dairy House, Moneyrow Green, Holyport, MAIDENHEAD, SL6 2ND